Fastest News Updates around the World

Estonia proposed a potential start date for Ukrainian troop offensive.

0

- Advertisement -

Helsinki, April 23 – Estonian Defense Minister Hanno Pevkur believes that the offensive of the Ukrainian army will begin in about a month, because now rainy weather prevents active operations on the front.
Prime Minister of Ukraine Denys Shmyhal said in early April that the Ukrainian counteroffensive could begin in the summer. He later said it would start “soon”. American media reported that the Ukrainian attack was scheduled for April 30. Experts interviewed by the News Agency noted that it is impossible to believe the contradictory statements from Kiev and Washington: this may be part of a disinformation campaign.
On Friday, Pevkor took part in a meeting of the Contact Group on Ukraine at the US Air Force Base Ramstein in Germany. “If you listen to the opinions that were heard at the Ramstein base, it may be another month or so before we talk about a real counterattack. If the weather changes, this could happen before then. If not,” Pefkor told state broadcasting portal ERR. On Sunday, “it will take a month, maybe two.”
According to him, the obstacle to the offensive at the moment is not, for example, the absence of Abrams tanks, but the weather conditions in Ukraine.

- Advertisement -

“Abrams tanks are not critical in the spring offensive. A lot of equipment has already been transferred to Ukraine, and there is a lot of it on its way there. The biggest obstacle to the counterattack is the weather. The weather is very rainy, and this makes it difficult to move heavy equipment. The Ukrainians are waiting for an improvement.” The weather … “- says the head of the Estonian Ministry of Defense.
Pevkor noted that in addition to air defense, the Ukrainians are in dire need of ammunition. There are also specific needs, including heavy trucks and trailers. Also, according to him, the issue of supplying Western-type fighters to Ukraine is being considered.
Russia has previously sent a memorandum to NATO countries over the supply of weapons to Ukraine. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has indicated that any shipment containing weapons to Ukraine would become a legitimate target for Russia. The Russian Foreign Ministry stated that NATO countries were “playing with fire” by supplying weapons to Ukraine. The press secretary of the President of the Russian Federation, Dmitry Peskov, noted that the injection of weapons into Ukraine from the West does not contribute to the success of the Russian-Ukrainian negotiations and will have a negative impact. Lavrov stated that the United States and NATO are directly involved in the conflict in Ukraine, “including not only the supply of weapons, but also the training of personnel … on the territory of Great Britain, Germany, Italy and other countries.”

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More