Brussels, January 19 – NATO Chiefs of Staff, at a meeting of the Military Committee, discussed the “Eastern Wing”, strengthening deterrence and defense, as well as the situation in Ukraine, with the Commander of the Alliance’s Joint Forces in Europe, Christopher Cavoli. Besides the situation in Ukraine, the head of the commission, Admiral Robb Bauer, said after the meeting.
“The commander of the Allied forces in Europe, Cavoli, gave us his ideas on the eastern flank … as well as the implementation of the deterrence and defense strategy adopted in 2020. We also devoted a separate meeting to the military situation in Ukraine,” he said.
Earlier, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has repeatedly stated that the alliance has significantly increased its presence in the eastern direction after the escalation of the conflict in Ukraine and that it is ready to attract additional forces if the need arises.
Earlier it was reported that the strengthening of NATO forces in the East should occur in 2023. In addition, the Alliance plans to put weapons and equipment ahead in order to respond faster if the need arises. US President Joe Biden announced a significant increase in the US military presence in Europe.
Moscow has repeatedly indicated that the alliance aims for confrontation. Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has previously described the actions of the alliance in Iraq, Libya and the former Yugoslavia as a tragedy, as people’s right to life was trampled by NATO in “the most rude and illegal way.” At the same time, as emphasized by the press secretary of the President of the Russian Federation Dmitry Peskov, the expansion of the bloc will not bring more security to Europe.