Worst in decades. Cholera kills 750 people in Malawi
Malawi Health Minister Humbes Kanududu Chipundan has announced that 750 people have died in the country’s worst cholera outbreak in two decades.
This South African country of nearly 20 million people first announced the outbreak in March last year.
On Thursday, the health minister ordered the closure of many businesses lacking safe water, toilets and waste disposal facilities, and announced restrictions on the sale of prepared food.
“We continue to report a growing number of cases across the country despite signs of declining transmission and mortality in several areas,” Chibunda said in a statement urging citizens to practice public and personal hygiene.
On Wednesday, Chibunda reported the death of 17 patients “in the last 24 hours” of 589 new cases of the disease, which is transmitted through contaminated water, noting that the country has recorded 22,759 cases since the outbreak began in March. last year.
Statistics show that 15 deaths a day have been recorded in recent days, and 155 deaths have been recorded in the past ten days, with about 1,000 cases transferred to hospitals by Wednesday.
On Thursday, the director of the African Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Ahmed Ogel Uma, said cases of cholera have been reported in 14 African countries.
Oma pointed out that 393 deaths were reported among nearly 4,000 new infections that have been reported over the past week in Africa as a whole, where Malawi is the epicenter of the outbreak.